How to use the ZOEN filter
Watch this short video to see how easy it is to use the ZOEN filter in its four operational modes.
Instructions for use and set-up
as a drinking straw
- Attach one tube to the entry end of the filter and another tube to the exit end, indicated by the arrows
- Suck the water up through the filter and in the direction of the arrows, directly into the mouth
with a water bottle
- Fill the bottle or collapsible canteen with dirty water
- Attach the filter using the screw thread
- Squeeze bottle to force water through filter directly into mouth or into a clean container
Set aside part of the filtered water and use this with the syringe for the backwash filter cleaning process.
Single Bucket Use
- Use the 13/16” drill bit to drill a hole 1½” from the bottom of the bucket
- Remove any burrs around the hole with sandpaper or knife, being careful not to change the shape of the hole
- Insert elbow attachment with the seal ring on the INSIDE of the bucket, then screw the hex nut firmly in place
Two Bucket system
DIRTY WATER BUCKET
- Follow the instructions for SINGLE BUCKET USE
CLEAN WATER BUCKET
- Use the 13/16” drill bit to drill two holes:
• HOLE 1: 2-3″ from the top
• HOLE 2: 1 ½” from the bottom
- Insert spigot into bottom hole with a seal ring on each side of the bucket wall, then screw the hex nut firmly onto the spigot shaft
- Insert elbow attachment into top hole with the seal ring on the INSIDE of the bucket, then screw the hex nut firmly in place
- Turn elbow attachments as needed to make sure tubes do not kink
NOTE: The dirty water bucket must always be above the clean water bucket.
TIP: To get water to flow through the filter faster, use longer tubing to separate the buckets by 3-4 feet.
Backwashing the filter
Back-wash the filter regularly to maintain flow rate and prolong the life of your filter.
- Disconnect any tubes, bottles or buckets from the filter (be sure to clamp any tubes that are still connected to a bucket)
- Fill the syringe with CLEAN water and squirt the water firmly into the EXIT end of the filter, opposite to the usual flow direction, allowing it to discharge onto the ground
- Repeat 6-8 times or until the discharge water is clear